Becoming A Medicinal Cannabis Prescriber
While there are many potential therapeutic benefits related to medicinal cannabis, it is essential to identify and minimise risks. Across the world, an increasing number of countries are legalising cannabis for medicinal purposes. Only one such product has been approved in Australia at the present time, and all other medicinal cannabis products are not yet approved by the TGA. The Therapeutic Goods Act (Cth) provides a number of mechanisms to enable access to unapproved therapeutic goods in Australia. This course will provide information to prescribers about how to use medicinal cannabis in a responsible manner.
- Describe the medicinal cannabis products, routes of administration, and dosage schedules available in Australia
- Counsel patients who intend to use medicinal cannabis about side effects, precautions, drug interactions, costs and correct use and document this in a treatment plan
- Outline the steps required to apply for a permit for and access to medicinal cannabis under state and federal regulations
- List resources to support both practitioner and patients in the safe and appropriate use of medicinal cannabis.
- Advise patients about obtaining medicinal cannabis products lawfully, and using and storing the products safely
- Presenter(s):Anita Muñoz
- Host:Spectrum Therapeutics
- Activity ID:169851
- QI&CPD Points:2